[Klug-general] [not local] Article about Linux jobs

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 08:50:49 UTC 2012

While I agree that from both experience and the "If this was my
business/company/department ..." Thinking demand for Linux and OSS on all
platforms is popular I do take that first study with a pinch of salt.

Not that I'm against gaining OSS skills. Let's face it OSS allows the
interested to jump in and have a go with technology in a way that they
couldn't afford.
I am also a big believer in looking at and learning alternative ways of
doing things. If it only teaches you what doesn't work you have learned
something.
In my experience there are big differences between oracle, SQL Server,
MySQL and postgres. In my mind none is a golden solution (hammer) but they
all have their strengths, weaknesses and quirks (both cute and annoying).

The skill I propose to people to learn and demonstrate when applying for a
job (and with luck interviewers should look for this) is to be a good
computer scientist. To have a tool box of technical techniques and the
ability to demonstrate usage of those tools.

OSS provides a low financial cost learning opportunity for all tools in the
box and the best tool for the job is a combination of the ones you are
comfortable using and the right tool for the job.

I have said too much on the underground now, my station is next.