[Klug-general] Linux Audio

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:30:58 UTC 2012

On 12 January 2012 17:06, Peter Childs <PChilds at bcs.org.uk> wrote:

> On 12 January 2012 14:40, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 January 2012 12:54, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
>> > Does anyone have a better clue than me on Audio Under Linux.
>> >
>> > I ideally want to be able to record/sample, then stream and analyse the
>> > sound.
>> >
>> > I think GStreamer should be the right weapon but it seams over complex
>> > if
>> > you want to do anything more than write a simple client using the
>> > filters/plugins already available.
>> >
>> > There seams to be so many Audio Libraries around, that I just keep
>> > drawing
>> > blanks.
>> >
>> > If something is better than GStreamer then I'll use that, People excel
>> > the
>> > virtues of Jack but I've never got that working......
>>

>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I've mentioned before about doing a talk on Jack, and I'm still
>> interested in doing that - just it kinda got a little forgotten about.
>>
>> Have to say I don't know anything about Gstreamer or Pulse so no
>> mention by me of them (except to disable Pulse if you're trying to use
>> Jack).
>>
>> > Does anyone know enough to be able to do a talk maybe?
>>
>> With Jack I can show you recording and analysis. I don't have
>> experience with streaming or really know much about it. Can you
>> explain more about this part of what you want to do? It sounds like a
>> 3 stage process - record, stream, analyse - rather than an
>> simultaneous in-line process.
>>
>> With Jack you can simultaneously record and analyse. What Jack has
>> that others don't is flexibility and routing between applications.
>>
>> I can also give some basic guidance on setting up a system for use with
>> Jack.
>>
>> It wouldn't be a long talk, nor would it be a jam session, nor would a
>> 20K rig be required ;-)
>>

> If Jack is so great why is it that all the main disros built with
> GStreaner/Pulse/Alsa stack?

I tried to explain this before the last time Linux Audio was slagged
off on this list as being a mess. JACK is for pro-audio users. Within
the IT industry, Pro-audio users are a minority, within Linux, they're
an even smaller minority.

> Thats without the large number of apps that use PortAudio/OSS/NAS ,,,,,

It's called choice.

> Plus the shear lack of good language bindings..... and upto date
> documentation....

C++ seems to be the language of choice for linux audio applications,
with a small minority using C.

I'm not trying to evangelize about how great Jack is, I just offered
to do a talk. If no one's interested I won't bother.

James.