[Klug-general] Linux Audio

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:32:22 UTC 2012

On 12 January 2012 17:48, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
> Well I am intrested for one.
>
> Part of the issue is there is a lot of difference between a pro audio app
> and someone who wants to just listen, record and stream a lot of noise.

What exactly do you want to do?

I guess I don't need to mention audacity for recording? But there's
also Alsa's command line recorder arecord.

There's a lot of audio analysis/visualization software out there, here's a few:

sonic-visualiser - probably one of the most feature rich but not
always easy to install.
jaaa - Jack/Alsa Audio Analyser
japa - Jack/Alsa Perceptual Analyser
SND - loosely modelled after Emacs apparently - extensible - steep
learning curve.

But like I say, streaming I'm not familiar with. Doesn't VLC do streaming?

james.