[Klug-general] Internet Shutdown Wednesday 18th

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:04:26 UTC 2012

I think that turning off the servers is not going to do much, many people
are just going to assume a site is broken (not something you might want to
promote).

I think a more practical approach would be to replace a site with a single
page explaining what is happening. Taking a site offline will in most cases
inconvenience users more than raise awareness and understanding.
Perhaps a server configuration to give everyone an information page. Short
sweet and to the point with a "more information" link and a "continue to
site as normal" link.
Don't byte the hand that clicks your links ;-)

But when it comes to internet and politics, what do I know? Surely nowhere
near as much as the people at digg and redit. Two sites the absence of
which is going to cripple the internet and inspire articles about the
billions the economy has lost in productivity!