[Klug-general] Internet Shutdown Wednesday 18th

Peter Childs PChilds at bcs.org.uk
Tue Jan 17 13:11:37 UTC 2012

I'll make two points (actually 3).

1. The US SOPA/PIPA is doing more to raise the awarness of why Copyright is
an issue, and why it does not work. Its doing far more to raise
the awareness of the things the FSF have been working for years or could
ever hope to manage.

2. As it stands most of those who are against SOPA/PIPA are not actually
against what its means to stand for but because its so badly written that
it actually can't achieve what it sets out to achieve and does a lot
of collateral damage in the mean time. (Like so much modern law of the last
30 years)

3, Anyone who moans that only effects the US needs to think again. The EU
would love to bring in similar regulations and if the US pass this the EU
will only follow. You can't say it does not effect us just because we're
not in the US.

Peter.