[Klug-general] Gavin the computer man

George Prowse george.prowse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:09:51 UTC 2012

On 23/03/2012 14:05, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
> More good advice, thanks for that. I have the motherboard handbook so I
> know that it is a Soltek SL-75KAV/-X so I followed your advice Alex and
> found a number of sites. None specifically relate to that motherboard
> although I found one listing Soltek beep codes which I suppose are
> generic. Anyway I found that Morse code for the letter 'B' (dah dit dit
> dit) is listed as 'Conventional/Extended memory failure'. Oh dear, that
> sounds expensive.
>
> I thought I had pressed the DIMMS firmly into their sockets when I had
> the back plate of yesterday but to no avail.
>
> So we will have to see what Gavin thinks this afternoon.
> MikeR

If I remember correctly the codes depend on the BIOS manufacturer (AMI,
Award, Phoenix). Looking at your mobo manual online I can see (from the
awdflash.exe) that it is an Award BIOS.

A quick google for award beep codes gives this:

1 long, 2 short: Video adapter error.
Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly.  Also, check to
ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop): Memory error.
Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1 long, 3 short: No video card or bad video RAM	.
Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running: Overheated CPU.
Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low: CPU.
Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be
due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

Which one was it?