[Klug-general] BBC: Dad builds video baby monitor

Antonio Mendoza Mendoza agmendozam at yahoo.es
Sat Nov 10 18:19:29 UTC 2012

Hello everybody
A few years ago I had a break in at home, so I did set up a quite similar system with 2 old webcams and my laptop, using Yawcam software (for Windows), I tried to set up in Linux but failed miserably :(
It worked pretty good, though with a few glitches.
Yawcam allows ftp, http, email and remote "surveillance", timed shooting and motion detection.
Later on time I moved to a different house and set up the same, and worked pretty well while I was on holidays abroad.
The system was set to take pictures when a movement in the house occurred and also took pictures every few minutes. These pictures were stored in a computer, as well as sent by e-mail to me (I didn't and don't have any kind of smartphone, as that dad from the news).
Only 1 big issue, I put the cameras pointing to the windows in the living room, which looks at the end of the street, where cars turn around quite often, so my account was flooded with pictures every time a car turned around.

Another time (again in a new house) my landlady was reported to the Council because the dogs were barking all day when they were on their own. I set a laptop on top of one of the cupboards, with a webcam running Teamviewer to record the dogs and find out if she was right... and she was, but no because of my landlady's dogs, but a friend's of her which was staying at our place during the week. I could remotely see the dogs from my room upstairs :)

The e

I think it could be an interesting subject for a meeting.
Regards you all
Antonio