[Klug-general] EPIK2013 (Encouraging Programming in Kent) launch 5th Nov 2012

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 21:21:18 UTC 2012

Further to comments at the last meet about getting kids involved in
geeky stuff. I have some more information regarding work's project:

Dear All,

I would like to start by sending a huge thank you to everyone for your
support and sharing both your knowledge and contacts to make EPIK a
reality in Kent, without you the project would not be where it is today,
as early adopters of the concept and project, I feel privileged to have
had so much positive and constructive input by all!

*So what are the plans for 2013?*

We are:-
*Launching version 2 of 5 on the 5th of November for the EPIK2013
Competition with the second £1000 prize fund and to better tie in with
schools and other educational institutions.
*Working in partnership with GEEK2013 Game expo East Kent to deliver 8
EPIK coding hubs for 72 young people aged 8 - 25 to "Code the world
around you" 3 day workshop with 40 industry IT mentors volunteering to
help our next generation to progress into this space.
*Working with the Kent Scouts to get their young people involved to do
their IT badges through participation and teamwork.
*Working with JCP (Job Centre Plus) Thanet and Dover to engage their
NEET (Not in education, employment or training aged 16 - 24 ) who are
passionate about gaming and all things digital.
*Working with East Kent College to bring the EPIK competition and
mentoring work experience opportunities to their Geeky students through
our events.
*May EPIK Gala event for 100 IT industry guests to celebrate Geeky youth
talent in Kent.
*Organising 3 venues for YRS (Young rewired state) in Thanet, Canterbury
and Dover for a week long "Festival of Code" for kids aged 8 -18 in
August 2013
*Bringing a large group of Geeky Kent youngsters to the Mozilla
(Creators of the Firefox internet browser) festival in London November 2013
*More in the pipeline see http://www.facebook.com/epikprojectuk

*How can you help?*
*Do you have contacts in schools and especially head of schools? Schools
so far have been very resistant to taking part.
*Do you have any suggestions on how we can reach parent directly to let
them know events like this is available for their Geeky children?
*Thanet and now Dover are participating, we need involvement from
Canterbury, I need contacts who won't just play "lip service" to
bringing this to the Geeky youngsters of the Canterbury area.
*We plan to expand into Maidstone, any contacts welcome.
*Do you want to take an active role or know someone that would, the more
people taking part, the more youngsters can also take part.
*Share what we are doing with just about anyone that will listen!
*Come to GEEK2013 games expo EPIK hubs "Show and Tell" and to the Gala
in May to see what our kids can do when they are mentored by the IT
industry in Kent and bring a head of school with you :)

*Who are our supporters?*
Open University
Marine Studios CIC (GEEK game expo East Kent)
Job Centre Plus
Thanet Council
KCC

*Who are our sponsors? *
P&O Ferries
BCS (British computer society)
Profile IT Academy
Canterbury innovation centre
ionCube Ltd

*Would you like to sponsor or support EPIK?*
Any questions please do ask and view my linkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dorine-flies/42/87/7a9

Again thank you for being early adopters of what we are aiming to do for
our Geeky young people in Kent!
Dorine Flies
HR Director
ionCube Ltd