[Klug-general] General GPS questions

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:24:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

Does anyone have much experience using GPS devices under Linux?

I have gone ahead and ordered a Bryton Rider 20 E GPS Cycle Computer
for - you've guessed it - tracking cycling routes so when I get home I
can see where I've been*.

I'm not sure what to expect. In general, do GPS devices allow data
access as mass-storage devices to simply copy a GPX file off it?
Should I expect to need Wine?
Or will I be forced into using some web service to gain my
route/track/whatever data?

I've been using Viking (svn) to hand-draw my routes... It can display
Bing satellite maps, and various OpenStreet maps... Shame no OS maps
:-(

Thanks
James.

* Who wants a GPS unit to take the fun out of getting lost!