[Klug-general] disk space issue

Dan Attwood danattwood at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:14:06 UTC 2013

hi all hopefully someone can point me to a good solution to this.

I have a VM server running on VMare. Recently if started to run out of
space on it's /var disk - which is a thin provisioned disk. We gave it some
more space and I rebooted the server into gparted and expanded the disks
into the new free space.

Today I've come in to find that the /var disk had run out of space
completely. I did a df -h and can see the following:

Filesystem           Size   Used  Avail   use% mounted on
/dev/sdb1             370G  348G  3.0G 100% /var

so the 370 gig disk has only used 348 gigs and yet is 100% percent full

my imeadiate thought was I had run out of inodes, however:

filesystem           inodes      iused    ifree           iuse%
/dev/sdb1            24576000 430482 24145518    2% /var

so I have loads of them free.

I also rebooted the server into grparted and double checked the disk
partition and also ran a disk check from here - this flagged up no errors.

I've now gone through and deleted some stuff to give me some breathing room
but I really need that space back.

Does any ones have any suggestions please?

Dan