[Klug-general] Transferring Music To A Mobile Phone

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Wed Dec 4 13:05:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:06:02 +0000
Paul Littlefield <info at paully.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> OK, who here uses an Android phone and regularly transfers music to
> it for listening?
>
> What do you use for this?
>
> When I plug the phone in to my laptop it sees it correctly in Thunar,
> then I choose SD Card and it reads the folders.
>
> I then copy from my ~/Music sub folder the Artist then paste into the
> Phone's SD Card Music folder.
>
> This used to take 20 seconds with UMS.
>
> Google has now removed UMS (USB Mass Storage) support from Android
> and it's now taking me 5 minutes to copy 1 album using the horrible
> MTP protocol.

I've found that with mtp and my samsung galaxy, nautilus sees it but
cant mount it, thunar sees it but cant mount it, but pcmanfm sees and
mounts with no problems, and once its mounted then nautilus has no
problems as its already mounted. I can then copy music and/or films
with no problems what so ever! And at normal decent speeds too.

HTH
Sharon.

> Also, copying photos from my mobile to my laptop takes just as long
> AND the filenames are all corrupted.
>
> Hope someone can help please.
>
> Disgruntled from Folkestone.
>
> PS: Ubuntu 12.04 running XFCE, Thunar File Manager, Android 4.2.2

Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944