[Klug-general] password testing/cracking

Karl Buckland buckland.karl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:48:44 UTC 2013

MD5 passwords are only particularly easy to crack because the hashing
algorithm is extremely fast and usually they aren't salted. This means you
can generate a rainbow table of hashes and then simply match up.

Are you trying to ascertain what makes a secure password, or are you trying
to ascertain what makes a secure login system?

As a web developer I recommend using a complicated and slow password
encryption scheme, such as bcrypt. On top of that, each password should
have its own salt. And on top of that, any login system should disable a
users account after a set number of failed logins.

As for user passwords, I would recommend at least 8 characters and the
standard set of uppercase, lowercase, numeric and special characters.
Ideally, you should use a password manager instead and use long,
complicated (effectively impossible to remember) passwords.

Karl