[Klug-general] How to monitor up/down times?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Wed Nov 13 14:05:13 UTC 2013

Thanks for this Alan, comments inline.

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:08:04 +0000
Alan <alan at hipnosi.org> wrote:

> Ermm, lets not mention the provider shall we? ;)
>
> In the (advanced) router config there should be a setting someting
> like: "Log to remote system" or "Log Server"

I've moved over to my router which gives much better wireless, and its
a 'TP-link 300M Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router, Model No. TD-W8960N'.

> Point this to your debian machine IP address (internal) and set up
> debian machine as the log server to record the ongoing logs as
> (for instance) /var/log/192.168.1.1/syslog.log
>
> http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/01/rsyslog-remote-logging/

I had great problems with this until I reread what you said, and then
did it in that order! /sbin/ifconfig gave a whole wadge of information,
including my 'inet addr:192.168.1.4', and after that it all works well.
The only problem that I can see is what logging/display level should I
use? Currently its on 'notice' for both, and I monitor it in real-time
by displaying the syslog in 'medit', and its started showing items like
these 'Nov 13 13:48:27 192.168.1.1  kernel: Intrusion -> IN=pppoa0 OUT=
MAC= SRC=50.46.155.141 DST=92.20.174.108 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00
TTL=48 ID=50029 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=4070 DPT=52656 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00
SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000 '. How relevant that is I don’t know, but it
seems innocuous, am I right?

> The last bit of code below "...to the central server." is not needed
> since your router is being pointed with the "Log to remote systems"
> setting.
>
> I notice the howto does not mention you need to punch a hole in the
> log servers firewall to allow whatever UDP  port you decide to use.

This seemed to be done automatically with no configuration on my
part.

Thanks
Sharon.