[Klug-general] Relocating my blog?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Mon Oct 14 08:08:36 UTC 2013

For several years now I've had my blog and a html-health related site
only both hosted on 1and1. Over the past month I've been getting
increasing numbers of 'Fatal error: Out of memory' errors, and its now
getting to the state that when I try to download and install a
wordpress plugin update, its taking the site down so that all that’s
seen is 'Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a
minute.' Its taken several emails over 3 weeks for 1and1 support to
tell me that 'PHP memory Limit is too low' and suggest that I upgrade
my package with them! Due to me being increasingly dissatisfied with
their support, like, they provide the ability to install wordpress,
but then don’t support you after installation.

Consequently I'm now looking for alternative hosting for my sites, and
would even consider self-hosting, but as a last resort. My html-only
site will be converted to wordpress once I achieve stability, and all
ancient postings on previous blogs converted to wordpress postings.

So I'm looking for a host who knows and supports wordpress, preferably
UK based? Or, is 'self-hosting' really viable on a talktalk home
account? Is wordpress my only option, what about 'flatpress' or
'octopus'?

I'm not too sure what I should be looking for, or asking for, so any
help or support/guidance would be very gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Sharon.
my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots
Debian 7.2, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944