[Klug-general] Round and round, like a windmill in the sky!

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Fri Oct 18 10:53:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:30:34 +0100
Dan Attwood <danattwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> have you thought about not using phpmyadmin and using mysql workbench
> instead?
> That will give you a gui way of managing the Mysql without needing to
> run an other webapp  which would also need to be kept up to date

I didn't know of 'mysql-workbench' until now, thanks for it. I'll
certainly have a go at using it, but atm I'm /completely/ unable to
access the mysql setup at all. Even like this -
'mysqladmin -u root -p ******** drop
Enter password:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

I've tried my user name, another user name, several different passwords
for root, but I just cant get back in! Its almost as if it dropping any
and all users with passwords! And so far my googling hasn't been very
effective.

I'm reluctant to install 'mysql-workbench' until I've got access to
mysql properly again. If I could just find where the database is to
delete it, after removing mysql-server and mysql-client, but I just
feel that removing the program will not delete the database.

Ho hum!

Sharon.