[Klug-general] Shared folders & users.

Alan alan at hipnosi.org
Wed Dec 31 17:48:02 UTC 2014

Yep with NFS and LDAP it's possible and works really well. We did it for
a 20 -user system using Centos to host the NFS and LDAP but I don't see
why a NAS could not do it.

Essentially you want the workstation to authenticate (with PAM on user
login) and automount their home to the NAS. We needed to make changes to
these files on the workstations:

Ldap-nss    /etc/ldap.conf
nss    /etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/pam.d/common-account
/etc/pam.d/common-auth
/etc/pam.d/common-password
/etc/pam.d/common-session
/etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.home (these are responsible for mounting
home)

Wish I had written a howto at the time, sorry. Hopefully the files will
point you in the right direction.

Be warned you *absolutely* need a solid network, we had endless problems
with performance issues because of some bad network wiring. By the time
we actually nailed down the problem to the wiring it was too late as the
replacement system was already in the works. In theory wireless is
possible (auto-authenticate using wpa_supplicant) but I would be careful
if performance is an issue.

Oh yes, and don't try to log into the same user simultaneously from
multiple workstations - you can imagine the result...