[Klug-general] Buying a laptop without Windows (Jonathan Kaye)

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye at riseup.net
Tue Jul 15 10:20:47 UTC 2014

I am humbled and impressed by the quality and quantity of your
careful because the laptop is not for me but for a neighbour of mine who
got stuck with an iPad and is looking for something a bit more useful. I
live just across the road from her in Wesgate and can easily come to her
aid if need be. She  hasn't used computers of any type before so she has
no bad habits to unlearn. My one concern is that I recommend a computer
with Windows8 with the intention of removing it completely (no dual
boot) and then not being able to install linux because of the UEFI
issue. At this point Gavin's suggestion of an HP 255 seems attractive.
My only question concerns this ebuyer.com. Anyone have any experience
with it? Is it pukka or a bit dodgy? I'm confused about their Buy
together and save package which suggests Office 365. If it doesn't come
with windows (just Ubuntu) then why one earth would anyone want to pay
extra for Office? Libreoffice costs nothing.

Anyway thanks to all of you Kluggers for your kind assistance.
Jonathan