[Klug-general] answer to my FOI request from Kent County Coucil

Jo Sharrad jo at sharrad.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 08:29:08 UTC 2014

I meant a bit of both really.

Basic stuff would be ok but where you get the problems is when normal users
use something like say a spreadsheet in a more powerful way. Now I haven't
looked into the features of libreoffice recently but I know before we had
problems as it did stuff in a different way. It wasn't that the options
were not there(though we have had this happen) it was just that they put it
under another heading or drop-down or a different name etc. This tiny
change can cause users great frustrations and the people at the top do not
like getting complaints about stuff as simple as the user hating the office
suite because they have to click somewhere different, they would see this
as an annoyance that wouldn't happen if they just stick with what they had
already.

On the advanced stuff, yes this is still a major problem, certain programs
just won't run on Linux and honestly WINE is not an option, the only way I
would suggest getting around this is if a person needs a specific piece of
software than they get to have Windows, means you cannot have a complete
move but sometimes you have to make exceptions.

Also I wouldn't necessary advise moving completely over in the first place
anyway. If you move the servers first then the end-user would not have a
clue of any changes, apart from maybe it being a bit faster ;-) , and that
way you could have some savings without the hassle of retraining staff etc.

Just some ideas, nothing concrete, I have never ran anything bigger than a
secondary school so really this is just thoughts, but I know that there
would be some ironing out to do if it was done on such a huge scale.

Jo