[Klug-general] answer to my FOI request from Kent County Coucil

John Cundy sc0060960 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 09:31:18 UTC 2014

There is an audit requirement to prove Value For Money (VFM) is being
achieved, it applies to all central and local government departments.
That could explain the level of council response, they may have it as a
stock answer; especially when the central government has adopted a
'digital by default' position.
The comment on complexity of software use is the most likely problem.
Switching to an open office solution when you have over 3000 ms excel
spreadsheet models including some 'horribly complex monsters' that
interact with accounting systems outputs in various ways means switching
is a problem. The slight differences in the products become major
headaches, especially given the extreme variety in the technical ability
of the user population.