[Klug-general] How does Kent County Council select software?

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Fri Sep 19 12:36:26 UTC 2014

On 19/09/14 09:56, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> Patience is the key and solid proof that stuff works AND saves people
> money. I only recommend what I have used and thoroughly tested myself.
>
> It's taken a LONG time for me to work on customers and it goes on EVERY
> day.

Yes, though I think it's important to emphasise that it's not an
either/or choice. Mixed environments of Windows, Linux, and Macs seem to
be the norm now. The canny people are getting the best from all three.

As regards software choice in the public sector, again it doesn't need
to be an either/or choice. The key thing is the adoption of open
standards, and having done that everything will fall into place. To that
end the recent Cabinet Office announcement of ODF as the Govt document
standard is an important breakthrough as taxpayers at last have a
choice. Windows, Mac, or Linux you can choose, you are not forced into
anything.

LS
--
Laurence Southon