[Klug-general] Kent Digest, Vol 463, Issue 5

David Love zed at zed.net.nz
Fri Sep 19 20:11:21 UTC 2014

Gavin Coles <gavin at indie-it.com> wrote:

> Well I agree that situation is a pain, but that is more down to the set
> up of the device rather than an actual fault with the OS.
>
> As for pensioners and Linux my 74 year old mother is quite happy using
> Ubuntu Unity, it has the same icons for Firefox, Thunderbird and
> LibreOffice that she used to have in Windows so she is happy.
[snip]

If I may butt in here.  I discovered Linux in 2006, just before my 75th
birthday.  Prior to that I had used RISCOS on an Acorn computer for over
20 years. I started with a A5000 and upgraded to a RiscPC when it was
first released.

The first Linux distro I used was OpenSUSE.  I then did some distro
hopping and finally settled on LinuxMint.  Currently using v17 Qiana with
the MATE DE.

I am an inveterate dabbler and use VirtualBox to run other shades of Linux
and Windows XP.  The only reason I use Windows is because one of my
interests is genealogy and I opted to use Family Historian when it was
first released and made a decision to keep using it.  Have tried Gramps
but cannot get used to it.

Regards from New Zealand on a pleasant Saturday morning.

David

--
David Love
Conclusion - the place where you got tired of thinking