[Klug-general] TTL to RS-232 advice

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 16:54:09 UTC 2015

James,

My understanding is that they shift both ways.  Regulating the level
back down to TTL is pretty simple - it's the boosting it up that
requires a non-trivial pump.  The problem is in raising the usual TTL
levels (from about 3V to 5V) up to the spec for RS232 (about 19V from
memory).  Most devices contain the same chip (MAX232 - which is purpose
built for it.)  Note that some RS232 devices/interfaces don't insist on
the 19V levels and will work fine with a low voltage input so you can
always try - particularly if the lead is short.)

USB has different driver circuitry again.

Mike