[Klug-general] TTL to RS-232 advice

jwmartnet . jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 13:46:33 UTC 2015

On 5 January 2015 at 00:11, Brian Reay <brian.reay at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are you trying to do?

View TTL serial console of QNAP device on Linux PC.

> In particular, does the device you wish to connect to (not the PC, the other
> 'end') have RS232 or TTL levels? If it is TTL and just Tx and Rx data ( plus
> ground) then a USB device like I mentioned should be fine.

Yes TTL, with TX & RX, plus a green VCC cable. I found another page
for achieving similar with freeBSD, saying to look for FT232 based
chips for USB connectors.

Some of them say 3.3v & 5v. Is the 5v the USB side, and the 3.3v the
TTL side? Or some mention a switch - is that to switch between 3.3v or
5v?

Are the cheap items shipped from China risky? (Hi-powered bicycle
lights from China have a bad rep for exploding batteries,
over-charging, etc).
£2 from China or £10 from UK.

Then am I right to guess the items listed for the Arduino might be a
good choice? Quality, reliable UK based distributor, etc.

> It will appear as
> a serial device under Linux just like any other serial port. All the ones
> I've used, Ubuntu has had the drivers  already installed.

Thanks for your help.
James.