[Klug-general] HDMI over wifi ... ?

Roger Gammans rgammans at gammascience.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 13:58:23 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 12:22 +0000, Paul Lawrence wrote:

> 2. If we cannot repair/re-run the Cat5 .. is there a (cheap) way of
> sending HDMI over wifi?

No. Not really. (unfortunately)

The full bandwidth of HDMI  (HDMI 1.3 can send up to 10.2Gbit/s although
1080p is only around 4Gbs.) is higher than even wired ethernet. I've
been thinking of doing something like myself , but it would probably
require a clever FPGA, (getting a UDP/IP stack and compression inside an
FPGA is I think doable) But that isn't remotely cheap - and I haven’t
seen anything on the market similar to it.

I think your best bet is sending the video stream while it is still in
it compressed container and using a cheap computer - say a Raspberry Pi
+ codecs to decompress at each (if there is more than one) display.
Small form factor computer which can sit neatly behind the TV display
are really good here. There are even full PCs small enough for this.

--
Roger Gammans <rgammans at gammascience.co.uk>