[Klug-general] USB drive caddy?

Roger Gammans rgammans at gammascience.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 21:32:29 UTC 2016

Sharon,

I've used this (
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-external/harddriveenclosures/Novatech/6619US3.html
) sort of thing before.

Just gogle for SATA drive dock to find loads of different ones, and they
just work(tm), as
the SATA connection is relatively low insertion force and will specified
positioning.

In terms of drivers, it just advertises USB mass storage  - So there no
drivers or anything needed.

For PATA, you probably want to look at what Alex posted the link to. I
don't see the driver situation being much different. The only thing to be
aware of iis on PATA  CD/DVD/etc used a slightly different command set to
harddiscs and back in the day I found some usb enclosures would only work
with one or the other.

IIRC, the SATA command set and the ATAPI command set are both derived more
closely form SCSI than the original ATA command set was , so I suspect a
device which claims to do both SATA and PATA hardiscs will also cope with
CD/DVD/etc drives.

When you say the maplin product would access IDE drives is that because tit
didn't have the connectors or did it seem to be a command set thing. ? Was
it advertised as being compatible with PATA harddiscs?