[Klug-general] how to access a synology DS916+ box?

Alan alan at hipnosi.org
Mon Oct 30 09:10:55 UTC 2017

Look around the interface for a way of enabling ssh access. Once this is
done you can use nmap to ascertain open ports on the device.
eg: if the device is on 192.168.1.220:

 #nmap 192.168.1.220

This is the output when nmapping our synology

Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-10-30 09:07 GMT
Nmap scan report for 10.100.100.12
Host is up (0.00028s latency).
Not shown: 986 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
22/tcp    open  ssh
80/tcp    open  http
111/tcp   open  rpcbind
139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn
161/tcp   open  snmp
443/tcp   open  https
445/tcp   open  microsoft-ds
548/tcp   open  afp
2049/tcp  open  nfs
5000/tcp  open  upnp
5001/tcp  open  commplex-link
49160/tcp open  unknown
50001/tcp open  unknown
50002/tcp open  iiimsf
MAC Address: 00:11:xx:xx:xx:xx (Synology Incorporated)

note: The port names are simply those contained in /etc/services of the
scanning machine so may not be accurate as to the actual service.