[Klug-general] offsite backup recommendations?

Chris Jeffries chris at floatingworks.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 14:56:00 UTC 2017

Hi
I have used rsync.net for a good number of years. They aren't UK based and
bill in dollars, but they do have European locations.
Pricing can be found at http://www.rsync.net/pricing.html. They were
incredibly competitive when I started using them maybe 7 or 8 years ago,
but maybe there are other options now that are cheaper?
Always been excellent for support and interaction.
Chris

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Sharon Kimble via Kent <
kent at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm looking for some offsite-backup using my fibre broadband connection.
>
> Things I'm looking for -
>
> - UK based,
>   - pay in UK sterling and not dollars,
> - linux compatible,
> - ability to restore easily, from 1 file to 100+,
> - can use a web interface, as well as command-line,
> - secure,
> - encrypted,
> - ability to 'block-buy', meaning I pay for 1 year and get a discount,
> - ability to backup through cron,
> - able to keep 3+ versions of backed up file,
> - can have unlimited storage, then I can backup my /home as well as
>   possibly my /music,
>   - /home currently about 250gb,
>   - /music is about 857.97 gb.
>
> I've got a synology server for general backups, but now I'm looking for
> an offsite backup solution.
>
> So what do other folk use, and what would you recommend please?
>
> I've looked at amazon A3 - I don't understand their pricing structure,
> crashplan for business - US based and bills in dollars,
> safedatastorage - looks interesting, doesn't have prices quoted to get
> an idea of them, spideroak - US based and bills in dollars,
> backupvault - looks interesting but they don't seem to be able to cater
> for linux, ditto backblaze, ditto carbonite, elastichosts - complicated
> pricing, don't really understand it.
>
> So what do other folk use, and what would you recommend please?
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.
> --
> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
> TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
> DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
> Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.3.2, org-mode 9.1.1
>
> --

http://www.floatingworks.co.uk

++44 1843595991