[Lincoln LUG] Overview of November's LUG meeting

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Sun Dec 11 21:57:51 UTC 2011

Hi everyone

This is a little late, but as they say "better late than never"!

We held our latest LUG meeting on 16th November, and again, we made Ye
Olde Crowne pub our venue of choice. We were joined yet again by the
intrepid Hull LUG crew (this time just Dave and Jon), and as well as
Lincoln LUG regulars Neal, Jo, Philip and myself, we were also joined
by 2 new members - Simon from Lincoln and Kevin who drove down from
Scunthorpe.

This LUG meeting was billed as a hands-on "techy" event with some
mobile phone rooting going on, as well as a distro install-fest on an
old, steam powered laptop brought along by Jo. We were also going to
attempt a live Google+ hang-out so that our on-line friends could join
in. Well, an achievement of 2 out of 3 ain't bad! :D

Jo arrived early (first!) and she was keen to get her tech out, so
Philip set about installing a custom version of CrunchBang Linux onto
her old lappy whilst I got the beers in! Then Dave and Jon arrived
(with Dave brandishing his shiny, brand new Thinkpad) and they set
about initiating the Google+ hangout. Neal was researching Philip's
mobile phone type to make sure he had the right Cyanogen Mod ROM and I
was welcoming and chatting to our 2 new members, Simon and Kevin. In
the end, we ran out of time to root the phone, much to Neal's relief!
He was so nervous about "bricking" Philip's phone that he had only had
half a pint of Guinness all night. You should have seen him make up
for lost time once he knew his services weren't going to be called
upon! :D

Yet again, the evening went by so quickly, with much Linux banter and
swapping/sharing of ideas to help each other. I even took my knitting
needles along and got Jo to show me how to knit in the round so that I
could knit some winter socks on circular needles! See that's what you
get when there are ladies involved :) We ended the evening with a
promise to Hull LUG that some of us would make their Christmas LUG
meeting on 6th December.

For Lincoln LUG's next meeting, we decided to miss the December one as
it would only be a few days before Christmas. We shall next meet on
Wednesday 18th January at Ye Olde Crowne pub again, starting at
7.30pm.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. I look
forward to seeing you all in the New Year.

Cheers

Becky Newborough