[Lincoln LUG] Linux Distros for Netbooks

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Sun Jan 29 18:09:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Alistair Crust <alistair at spilsby.net> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>  I've never posted to this mailing list before, and I constantly intended to get to the lug meetings although alas work and family commitments have always kinda got in my way.

Hey Alistair :)

Welcome to the list. Hopefully you'll be able to attend a meeting soon.

>  Introductions out the way, I would like to tap up the collective for opinions/suggestions (I get the feeling I know what Phil will say here)
>
>  I have just taken possesion of a compaq mini (500sa) and after replacing the defunct hdd and cleaning the rice pudding out the keyboard (previous owners children) I am looking for different OS's to try out on it.
>
>  I have installed ubuntu 12.04 which works well, but I would love to try out some different ones to compare and was wondering if any one had any ideas for lightweight distros tweeked for this type of netbook.
>
>  Hope everyone is having a nice relaxing Sunday, and thanks in advance for any suggestions (Phill, I do intend on trying crunchbang, but I would love to know more about it and why it does what it does so well).

I could always bring a copy of CrunchBang to the next meeting and we
could try it in a live session -- I am always interested in testing it
on different systems ;)

Cheers
 -- Philip

P.S. I think the next meeting is on the 15th Feb, Becky, can you confirm?