[Lincoln LUG] Quickie Introduction

Terry Froy tez+lincoln-lug at spilsby.net
Tue Jul 31 19:40:35 UTC 2012

> <snip>
>
> it is a very hot topic atm and has reintroduced some old attacks mainly DOS attacks(these where the main techniques used by lolsec, anonymous and the jester in
> recent attacks). There are a few ways to defend against all of these on Linux and BSD would be great to hear another local persons take on defending against
> them.

Hi Tom,

I do not plan to cover any of the aspects of blocking or filtering malicious traffic as I am not trying to set the bar labelled 'prior knowledge' too high although I would be happy to discuss the above at length after the talk or during the obligatory Q&A session if there is sufficient time (and I haven't bored everyone to death by then!).

> Macs are safe atm from these it would appear. Microsoft has decided not to patch a POST attack!! they have said they will patch it for windows 8 and server 2012
> tho so better rush out and get these on release day lol.

Microsoft's IPv6 implementation is lacking in a lot of areas and does some pretty braindead things by default but this isn't common to Microsoft - will try to cover some of the shortcomings in the Microsoft IPv6 stack and some useful-to-know workarounds for those who are forced to work with Microsoft's proprietary stuff.

> however il shut up now as im sure ul go over all of this

The intent is to give everyone a clear understanding of what IPv6 is, how it differs from legacy IPv4 and why you should start thinking about using it.

Regards,
Terry