[Lincoln LUG] Overview of June LUG meeting

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Thu Jun 21 20:06:26 UTC 2012

Hi all

Oops, what a mix-up that was! Philip and I arrived at Ye Olde Crowne pub
only to be met by the barman telling us no food was being cooked and that
he had booked karaoke for the evening!  Dave and Kevin joined us and it was
agreed that we would move the LUG meeting to Lincoln Bowl, as at least
there we could guarantee a wi-fi connection, food, beer and a pleasant,
welcoming atmosphere. We tweeted, mailed,and G+'d the web that we were
moving and piled into our cars to drive to the bowl where Andy and his
staff made us all welcome. We were joined a little later by Alistair and
Jo; Alistair went to the pub before getting our tweets about the move and
reported that there was no-one in there apart from the karaoke DJ!

To be fair, we have noticed a decline in service in Ye Olde Crown pub for
the last few months and I was wondering whether the LUG would be looking
for a new home soon; it looks like our minds were made up for us instead.
The LUG members who attended last night all agreed that they would be happy
to return the LUG to the Lincoln Bowl in Washingborough as a regular venue,
so that's what we are going to do with a new time of 7pm until 10pm. I will
update lists, announcements, twitter pages etc with the change of venue and
timings.

We discussed holding a summer month LUG (July, Aug or Sept meeting) at
Brandy Wharf Cider Centre, with the threat of some overnight camping and
nick-naming it GrogCamp :D Kevin said he would check out whether they had
wi-fi but I also think that Philip and I will probably venture up there in
the name of "research" to sample the wares and check out the venue's
suitability to accommodate us :)

All in all a good evening was had (even after our false start!) with lots
of talk about Raspberry PI super-computers, EEE pc server farms and server
migrations in general, as well as 3 members relating their UK
holiday-from-hell stories as a result of the terrible June weather that we
have been experiencing (floods in Wales and 60mph winds whilst camping in
North Norfolk). We also discussed unscrupulous landlords and
home-decorating techniques, though none of us actually volunteered to help
Alistair with his painting. Maybe it was his rave music stories that put us
all off! :D

That's all for now; hope to see some of you next month

Cheers

Becky