[Lincoln LUG] Overview of March LUG meeting

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Sun Mar 25 13:46:44 UTC 2012

Hi everyone

I failed miserably last month and neglected to do a write-up of February's
meeting.  This month I have decided to write up the meeting as it happens!

We have been joined tonight by Alistair, a new face for the LUG meeting but
already a contributor via the mailing list. Welcome Alistair, and Many
Happy Returns for your birthday. Jon and Dave are here, as is Kevin, Jo,
Neal, Philip, Adrian, Linda and of course, me :D

Most of us decided to sample the pub food tonight and we were all suitably
impressed with the quantity and quality. I can heartily recommend Ye Olde
Crowne club sandwich (served with a bucket-load of chips), and of course,
the beer selection here is always top-notch.

The Linux Ladies took over a table to themselves and we proceeded to sort
out Linda's partitioning to default load from grub into Linux Mint, and we
got her set up on facebook so she can connect with her daughter and her
online gaming community friends. Once she was logged into Yahtze, we never
heard another peep out of her all evening - another satisfied customer.  :-)

The guys discussed Linux servers in schools; the pro's and con's on owning
an i-Pad; the latest budget announcements and the impact on us as
individuals; the merits of wordpress over drupal and lots, lots
more. Alistair showed off his Zalman ZM-VE200 external HDD case, and Glenn
Ambler (@gambler2073 on twitter) also connected with us via Twitter to
promote an event he is involved with - White Hat
Rally<http://info.whitehatrally.org/p/home.html>. If
any of Lincoln LUG members are interested in participating, please contact
Glenn direct.

A great night was had by all, and some of us are doing a return trip to
Hull LUG on 3rd April 2012. The next Lincoln LUG will be on 18th April,
normal time and venue - see you there!

Regards

Becky