[Lincoln LUG] Distros

Dave Briggs dave at kindofdigital.com
Thu May 9 13:08:40 UTC 2013

Thought it may be a good idea to start up a bit of a holy war :-)

I've a new laptop on the way and am wanting to put Linux on it and for it
to become my main machine (leaving my Mac behind...).

So, distro choice. Ubuntu seems to be the default choice for a lot of folk,
but I'm not a fan of various things they are doing, including the ads in
search results, the forcing of Ubuntu One down your throat, and so on.
Don't personally find Unity that offensive as it happens.

Other seem to like Mint which seems to take the best bits of Ubuntu while
stripping out the annoying stuff - am I right?

I'd really like to give Debian a proper go, but I do worry that it won't
support the hardware in the laptop (it's a Dell XPS 13) without difficulty.

What are people's thoughts?

Dave

--
Dave Briggs - Director, Kind of Digital Ltd

dave at kindofdigital.com<https://mail.google.com/a/kindofdigital.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=dave@kindofdigital.com>|
http://kindofdigital.com | 07501 190090 | 020 3286 5186

http://twitter.com/davebriggs | http://gplus.to/dbriggs | Skype:
kindofdigital