[Lincoln LUG] sudo

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Mon May 20 20:01:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Kevin Hall <kevin_hall at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Running crunchbang and tried to add my user to a new group with usermod -G
> newgroup.
>
> Apparently, after a lot of searching I should have used usermod -a -G
> newgroup.
>
> Now I cannot do anything because I am not in sudo.
>
> How do I get back into sudo
>
> Thank you
>
> Kevin

What a pickle. You should be able to gain root access and fix this by:

1. Reboot the machine
2. When grub screen appears, press 'e' to edit the boot cmd
3. Append 'single' to the boot line, possibly after 'quiet'
4. Boot with Ctrl-x or F10.

This should drop you into a root console (no passwd needed) where you
can fix your group memberships. If it helps, your groups should look
something like:

corenominal cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev fuse scanner
bluetooth netdev cbnetwork

Hope this helps.

Philip