[Lincoln LUG] Fwd: [lugmaster] Urgent Bash Vulnerability

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Thu Sep 25 21:05:09 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gavin Westwood (Lugadmin) <lug at gavinwestwood.co.uk>
Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Subject: [lugmaster] Urgent Bash Vulnerability
To: lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk

You may want to pass this on to your emailing lists:

If you haven't already, apply any security updates for Bash for your
distribution.  A major vulnerability has been found and it seems that
there are still variant attacks that work, so expect further updates.

I had already applied the updates for Debian last night on my servers, but
saw this article on the Guardian website today:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/25/bug-bash-software-could-be-bigger-threat-heartbleed

The Reg also has a good article on the subject:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/24/bash_shell_vuln/

This email is the disclosure details:
http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/650

Thanks

Gavin

Hi everyone

Please be aware of this vulnerability and install the necessary security
patches for your distro.

Cheers

Becky