[Lincoln LUG] Saying Hello

Geoff Crow grc1 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 10:32:25 UTC 2015

Hello Becky and Mo,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Every so often I wipe every thing of my
laptop and start again trying new distros and clearing away all the
accumulated junk. The last week has been one of those occasions.

I wanted to try one of the BSD versions then found that it needed either
a primary partition or a GPT partition.  I didn't have any spare primary
partitions available and I had been finding the MBR partitioning
restrictive so I decided to try GPT. After a few false starts I now have
a GPT partitioned disk with Mint as the main OS. I have not got BSD on
the laptop, because when I installed BSD it wasn't picked up by Mint and
when I installed grub through BSD it wouldn't pick up Mint. Another
problem I found with BSD was that it was very slow in comparison to
Mint. So in the end I dumped BSD and will reinstall Arch along side Mint.

As for the question of which text editor I use, I have tried a few and
decided on KDE's Kate I like the fact that it is easy to use (no arcane
key strokes or talking about buffers or insert and command modes). Just
save a file as .java and it will syntax highlight, give auto-complete
suggestions and auto indent.

I have Eclipse installed as well, a bit over the top at the moment but I
like the way it sets every thing up, catches errors and helps to fix them.

Now a bit more information about the group. Do you get a good turn out
at the meetings, I belonged to the Mansfield Lug for a while which on a
good night had six members turn up for meetings. I was hoping for more
than that.

Anyway thats enough for now, see you soon.

Regards,

Geoff.