[Lincs] Re: Dual processor systems

Robert E A Harvey lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 16:22:00 2002

> From: Chris Lingard <chris@stockwith.co.uk>
> To: lincs@mailman.lug.org.uk

> Green with envy.  I tried to buy a Tyan Tiger MP m/b based machine
> recently but could not find a supplier

If you are interested I could build you anything you specify - I have some
time on my hands as my employer has just paid everyone off and vanished in a
puff of green smoke.

My machine cost me less than £700, partly because of careful shopping, and
partly because I was prepared to do things like modify the PSU to add a
second fan, and modify XP chips into MP chips.  If you have a spec. let me
know, and I can put together a price for you. Wierdly, the case is often the
most problematic!  I got mine in Dubai for £17, including a 300W PSU I had
to throw away.  Bit garish, but it works.

I was also working at the time with a couple of dual-xeon Dell workstations,
which seemed to work well.  I experimented with putting a twin-processor
Xeon in, but the bios would not have it.

In recent reviews the Tyan Tiger was less well thought of than the MSI board
I used, the K7D Master-L. This is one of those "subjective" things,
however...

I like the pictures on your web site!

Bob