[Lincs] Worries About The Future Of The Group...

Peter Cooper peter at petercooper.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 11:04:15 BST 2004

All good posts on this topic so far, but I wanted to bring up something
related to all this. I think the message board needs to be 'pushed'
more, in lieu of IRC.

A lot of people don't like mailing lists for general conversation. I
don't mind because I have my e-mail sorted in folders, but a lot of
people use Hotmail or use a single folder, which makes it hard to keep
track. Other people just simply don't like receiving much e-mail
(particularly if they're not interested in the discussion).

So perhaps the message board could be 'pushed' a bit more. The only
reason I didn't sign up there yet is because it's unused, but this is a
catch 22! Forums and message boards are popular and well understood
nowadays, and perhaps the lurkers would be more likely to contribute to
discussion there rather than on IRC. The message board is more ideal
for conversation, wouldn't lead to large floods of e-mail in the
mailing list, and unlike IRC isn't too dependent on everyone meeting at
the same time. It may also mean those from other LUGs can comment on
our discussions, all keeping the fire burning nicely.

Pete