[Lincs] Worries About The Future Of The Group...

Peter Cooper peter at petercooper.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 11:39:12 BST 2004

Dave Pearson wrote:

> The flip-side is, of course, that there are people like myself who
> can't
> abide "message boards". While it's less of an issue for me now that
> I've
> finally got ADSL a message board can be terribly inefficient because
> you've
> got to be connected to the net the whole time you use them. On top of
> this
> you can't use your own email/news composition and archiving tools to
> engage
> with them. For some people this can mean that it's a costly and
> annoying way
> of trying to communicate.

These are certainly complaints I would have brought up myself a year or
two ago, but they've become so popular nowadays that I've managed to
grin and bear it, and now find them reasonably usable to a point.
Certainly mailing lists were popular several years ago, but I'm sensing
people seem to be getting sick of e-mail these days. (I'm personally
sick of IM, but I'm not gonna win that war it seems ;-))

Admittedly, forums still aren't popular in technical circles for the
reasons you point out, but how many of our members are really technical
sorts? Perhaps it's the barrier between these two sometimes overlapping
types of people (the type that prefer USENET, IRC, and mailing lists,
and the type that prefer forums, IM, and Yahoo Groups) that is the
sticking point in getting people to communicate? Just a thought anyway.

On the topic of connecting.. are there really people here who still pay
by the minute for connections? No offence intended, but I'd have
imagined anyone particularly interested in Linux would use the net for
more than the twenty or so hours a month where it becomes worthwhile to
go unmetered (downloading patches and various bits of software takes
that long at least)? Could be wrong though!

Pete