[Lincs] Unrealistic expectations? (Was: No-one there!)

Dave Pearson davep at davep.org
Wed Aug 18 15:25:39 BST 2004

* Marc Mc Guinness <marc at mcguinness.de> [2004-08-18 14:40:17 +0200]:

> Dave Pearson wrote the following on 18.08.2004 14:07:
>
> >Expressing disappointment at the "membership" of a group when the first
> >"official" meeting hasn't even taken place yet strikes me as a good way
> >of
>
> I'm disappointed of the list members because
> - we had votes on days and times for our IRC meetings, but not more than
> 3 people attend.

It's probably worth keeping in mind that when some expresses a preference in
relation to something like that it doesn't mean they'll actually be in a
position to act on it. If someone says when they'll have their best chance
to be online with IRC it doesn't mean that their best chance will actually
turn into having the chance.

> - list members said they would attend to our meeting on Monday, but
> didn't.

It's probably a good idea to reserve judgement on those people until you
know why they couldn't follow thru on their intention.

> - we ask a basic question like "what topic (networking? programming?
> office software?) would you like to hear a talk about?" and only 2 people
> answer.

I think I had finally seen mention of LLUG and had subscribed to the mailing
list by then and, no, I didn't answer. The reason why I didn't answer is
that I had no preference. There's no need to be disappointed by a lack of
answer to a question like that because it's still an answer. A flood of "no
preference" answers probably helps nobody.

> How shall we organise and plan the first official meeting, if nobody tells
> us what they'd like to have for that meeting?

Do what almost all other groups and societies do: go with what's available
and let the group grow and evolve over time. Few groups and societies start
out fully formed and with full momentum. It takes time to build a group or
society.

--
Dave Pearson
http://www.davep.org/