[Lincs] Unrealistic expectations - Games under linux

MD barodato at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:26:33 BST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:39:44 +0100, Pete Hunt <pete at ninjafriendly.com> wrote:
> Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote:
>
> > BTW. What games have people got running on their Lux boxes (Half Life,
> > Quake 2?... I'm interested in older games as rather than cutting edge,
> > my box is more blunt corners :-)
> >

> Yeah, I'm tempted to upgrade as well, but can't justify it just for
> gaming.  Now if something went wrong....... hmmm.
>
> Games I've had success with under Linux:
>
> Anything using the Scumm engine - Monkey Island etc
> Doom, Half-Life Blue Shift (most things that have come out of ID.)
> Using Wine: C&C Red Alert & Tiberian Sun, Diablo 2, Thief & Thief 2,
> also tried Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls but my machine laughed in my
> face.  I don't like really "doubling up" just to play a game I know
> would run faster in w32.

Of course Unreal Tournament 2003 has a linux installer script on the 3rd CD. :D

I don't know why most games aren't doing this, considering a lot of it
is just OpenGL. Of course the biggest problem is that the newest
DirectX9 stuff is all closed source.

Theres plenty of stuff on the net aboot linux games compatibility, one
site of which has a great big long list with a mark out of 5 for
compatiblity with linux for every game, although I think this applies
just to WineX.

--
Thanks,
-Matt Dancer <barodato at gmail dot com>