[Lincs] noob lurking around the edges

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 18:48:08 BST 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 16:26, David Mawson wrote:

> communicate with a few like-minded people. I "attended" a
> recent IRC meeting and, sorry to say, was quite disappointed.
> Most of the chat went right over my head as one or two others
> were determined to prove their superior knowledge, there was
> no welcome as such and the meeting degenerated into a rather
> puerile discussion about potential layouts for the web-site
> interspersed with some seriously dodgy homophobic comments.
>  Sorry if I've offended anybody but I don't think recruitment
> is your problem; retention of interest may be.

IRC is probably the worst method to use.  On another group I have
seen senior developers resign, because of arguements.  Indeed,
there is now a warning in the topic on this group; and there are
ops ready to kick and ban users.

Plain old email is the best for problems, ideas and discussions
because it makes people take time to think first.

Chris