[Lincs] Security, viruses etc.

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 20:03:45 BST 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 14:51, J Simpson V21 wrote:
> Hi Pete Cooper,

> Does anyone know if there is a firewall with Redhat9?

Probably, it will use NATS and masquerade

> >FTP, SSH, and telnet, SMB
>
> I have no idea what the above are, but can anyone direct me on
> how to turn these off in Redhat9?
> I always use my everyday username, unless I am doing something
> specific and it asks me for root.

Turn off unused services; you will need to be root to do this

You can use ftp, ssh and others to make an outside contact; but
only need the daemons for incomming contacts

Search through the service menu; and turn off as many as you can,
your machine will run faster too.

Chris