[Lincs] First RL LUG meeting / Call for Papers

Pete Hunt pete at ninjafriendly.com
Tue Jul 13 21:26:32 BST 2004

Hi All,

The first real-life meeting of Lincs LUG has been tentatively planned
for Boston Squash Club on Saturday, September 11th.

Basic plan at the moment is:

1) actually see who you've been IRCing / emailing
2) enough of a range of people to make it interesting & worthwhile
3) Speakers - see below
4) Learn something we didn't know
5) As social an event as possible - There's a bar onsite and most of us
are 18+ (I think).

Suggestions are more than welcome.

# Speakers

Would anyone be prepared to speak for 15-ish minutes on a topic of their
choice?

Suggested topic include:

Knoppix
Linux basics and open source
Open Office
Mozilla
Audacity (Iain)
"Fun" Linux projects - I've volunteered to run through setting up an mp3
/ ogg jukebox server.
Kopete (Iain)
Basic linux security for desktops

But pretty much anything is fair game, provided it's interesting, useful
and not too amazingly hard to get going - we'll probably leave running
chrooted distros inside each other for the next meeting.

I'll see if I can borrow a digital projector from work, so speakers can
either use it as a prop or actually "work" on the big screen so the
audience can see.

Any takers?

Thanks

Pete