[Lincs] Awakening of Group

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 12:20:08 BST 2004

J Simpson V21 wrote:

> I am running REDHAT 9, but got stuck as I couldn't get my
>modem to work.
>
>I purchased a modem second-hand, but it was faulty, someone has recently
>given me a modem, but I haven't had time to try it as the family spend a lot
>of the summer camping.

Was the modem definately faulty? If you're not sure you might be
suffering with the common problem of "winmodems". If not the following
may help setting up the other modem you've aquired.

Most modems in PCs today are technically only half a modem - the other
half is in the software! Unfortunately this software is only meant to
work with the Windows operating system so the modems can be a pain to
get working in another system. I believe the reason for this is cost -
half a modem is cheaper to buy! But it means that your main processor is
doing some of the processing the modem should be doing so their could be
a minmal effect on performance.

AFAIK you have two options:

* Find a real modem! I'm told these are increasingly hard to come by
* Visit http://linmodems.org/ who have advice on how to get a winmodem
working in Linux

The Redhat hardware compatibilty web page may help if you've not seen it
before, I'm not sure.
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/

Hope that helps. I don't think I've ever actually set up a modem in
Linux but it's a common topic of discussion.

tola ^/.

--
Ben "tola" Francis            http://hippygeek.co.uk