[Lincs] New User Greetings

NQB-W barodato at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 17:34:10 BST 2004

Hi all! I just finished a computer systems engineering degree at the
university of Kent, where I started using Debian GNU/Linux after a
brief flirtation with an old RedHat distro, having never touched
anything other than M$ Doze before. I've been jibbling on Debian more
or less exclusively for 3 years now, using windows only for the odd
game and when MSNMess clones for linux weren't working (I use AMSN,
btw).

I live in a village near Spalding that seems to have been overlooked
by BT in terms of broadband, and I'm afraid to say I've lapsed back
into windows use as a result of an aversion to pppconfig and setting
up USB, as well as apt-get withdrawal symptoms.

Nonetheless I maintain a linux server which I use primarily as a
filestore and coaster toaster. Lack of space at home has meant that my
linux box has become headless and therefore has to be administered
entirely over SSH, but I get by. Its running Debian unstable/testing,
kernel 2.6.6 and my favourite window manager is fvwm2. Please, don't
hit me.

I have to say, I've never used a mailing list-thing like this before,
so please correct me if I'm doing something horrendously wrong. :) On
the same note, howsaboot we start a web forum, something like an
Invision Power Board jobby. It'd probably be a lot easier than this
mailing list stuff, and I reckon I could probably slap together one on
my present webspace if everyone agrees (its not doing much to justify
the cost atm, anyway).

Apologies in advance for the long mail.

--
Thanks,
-Matt Dancer <barodato at gmail dot com>