[Lincs] February Meeting?

J jt at imen.org.uk
Tue Nov 16 17:47:16 GMT 2004

> | Just a quick question... where and when will the RL meeting in February
> | be held? Any ideas on who is going to talk and what is going to be
> | talked about.
>
> I'm not sure if I'll make it to the next meeting. I'll try my best, but
> I can't promise to give a talk at this point.

Will try. Feburary is a long way away.

> | I notice that the volume of mails on the list has dropped to pretty
> much
> | zero over the last month or so, I must admit I have been rather busy,
> | what has everyone else been up to?
>
> I've been playing with Debian Sarge and SuSE 9.1.

I've been taking over... I mean trying to set up an employee friendly
and open source friendly company.

> I also gave some talks on the following topics:
> - - .htaccess management
> - - security audits and penetration tests for companies
> - - php based content management systems

I have a question actually about something related to this which I'm
trying to work out for various purposes which breaks down into two parts
One about security, one about CVS (or related).

1) How can I encrypt a folder structure through the use of a key
mechanism so that I can use it with normal programs through a mount
style mechanism : for instance, I know I can create a file and mount
this as a directory, and then place files into this. I also know i could
encrypt this file, is there any way of creating some sort of script that
would encrypt the data being sent to the file and un-encrypt the return
of the data. What I'm worried about here is that I dont really
understand the way this works - I know I just do it ...

for instance if I send the command "open file" through the encryptor,
this might turn out the other end in the block file as something
completly wierd. If all instructions get interpreted in this manner then
we're going to have serious problems.

On the other hand, if I have to encrypt individual files, this still
gives people the ability to see what I'm working on through the file
names (I give my files obvious names - its a company policy).

I dont want to have to un-encrypt the entire directory then re-encrypt
it everytime I want to open / write to a file.

I want this to work at the OS level because I want to be able to put
anything into these folders including applications and use any generic
file based application on this directory (for instance I don't want to
have to be forced into using emacs to edit the files because you can do
it inside emacs or whatever).

How would changing my keys work for such a system or allowing multiple
keys to be used to access it?

2) Supposing the above was a CVS structure (which part of it will be). I
need to have two CVS structures - one "public" with various people
having read-write to it, and one private where I will be doing my own
development. There is a reason why I cant develop onto the same tree and
must keep it private. In this situation, I will checkout the current
release every now and then, develop my mods then move them back to the
main tree. At the moment I am doing it without a second CVs. What I want
to do is be able to use a "private" cvs to do my development on then
merget mine back with the main tree.

Is there an "official" way of doing this? I know I can write some
scripts to checkout into a temp directory the "public" tree, generate
patches against when I checked out from my "private" tree then apply
these patches to the "public" checked out and commit the lot (with
consideration to checking for additions or removal of files etc.

> On Thursday I'm going to give a talk about how to hide data in unix
> filesystems at my local Linux User Group. For example: How to hide data
> in your journal or in your inode struct. Basically it's much about C
> programming.

Im not going to ask about this.... (neither if its a good idea or not).