[Lincs] lug.org.uk has been compromised! My 2p

Chris Marr majic at mintingmadhouse.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 15:35:06 GMT 2004

Greets, I guess I should have intro'd myself earlier, I signed up for the
mailing list about a month ago.

How do you get a backdoor installed (whatever software it came with) in the
first place? I'd have thought that lug admins would 1) get the software from
a reputable source (ie, download from apache) to have some level of
culpability, or 2) download source, check it for issues (ie backdoors) and
then compile and test it.

I suppose now the cat's out of the bag, how long before it's put back?

Chris