[Lincs] lug.org.uk has been compromised!

J jt at imen.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 18:23:25 GMT 2004

Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote:

>[Grahame] Is this a actual "Linux" security problem because it sounds
>like an Apache security issue to me...
>

>>This just compounds two previous points. The first being an age old
>>argument over the security of Linux and the second being should we be
>>hosting with large providers.
>>

>[Grahame] I have to agree with this comment below, but I've still not
>found a commercial provider who offers that level of service... sad but
>true.
>

>Hosting it ourselves is an interesting idea but brings up it a couple of
>issues... namely who's willing to host it?

Me. Suprisingly enough, I think the post that states what I've been
doing for the past nine months has gone missing, but basically at the
moment we (myself and a few friends who are setting up a small company)
have been hosting about six unique sites plus our own personal ones for
about three years, and the last few months we've been gearing up to make
this actually non-loss making.

We hope to increase this to about thirty in the next year, and all at a
level of service based upon honesty and security - we dont run things
and are careful over what users we let onto our systems, which in terms
of making a profitable busines is stupid and dosn't make sense, but
thats not what our business is about...

We would be able to offer free hosting for LLUG with negotiable access
(ie we'll negotiate what kind of system you want to run) because it
would get us kudos.