[Lincs] lug.org.uk has been compromised!

James Taylor jt at imen.org.uk
Mon Nov 22 22:29:20 GMT 2004

Ben Francis wrote:

> J wrote:
>
>> Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote:
>>

>>> Hosting it ourselves is an interesting idea but brings up it a
>>> couple of
>>> issues... namely who's willing to host it?
>>

>> Me. Suprisingly enough,
>

> <snip>
>
>> We would be able to offer free hosting for LLUG with negotiable
>> access (ie we'll negotiate what kind of system you want to run)
>> because it would get us kudos.
>>
> Hosting it ourselves was mentioned back in June.
> (http://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/private/lincs/2004-June/000048.html)
>
> ,J's server is the one I was talking about back then, but there have
> been changes since then and it's looking a lot like a serious option
> now. I'm unfortunately not as in touch as I used to be with the goings
> on of his web server(s) but I can personally vouch for the stability
> and uptime of their systems.

Mmmmmm stability (and this is where I get to show of the current gear
and upcomming gear)... The system is currently in ameeerica but about to
move to london any month now.. currently a umode linux box sitting in a
rack cluseter somewhere in New York, but soon...

ITs going to be a four motherboard cluster sitting on a 100 meg link
thanks to black cat networks (plug plug). You might be asking why we
havn't upgraded yet and the reason is two fold - the first part is we
arn't ready to and the second part is we dont have the funds - the
upgrade project was supposed to be in april 2005 and we have brougt it
forward for various "political" reasons, hence us not being quite ready
for the technology - we will actually run the system as a single box
then implement the clustering features more towards april/may of next
year. The funding issue isn't actually my fault. I earnt all the money
we need to do it. Its just the Goverment stole it from me, and the
idiots at Kelly's are taking an **age** to give it back. Could be any
friday though - fingers crossed. I **will** be prancing about in varius
lugs going look at my luverly cluster...

As for stability. The onlything we don't have a good track record in is
Mail. I'm sorry, its taken me a long time to get the mail working
stable, and I think I only cracked it finaly about a month ago. I have
used every kind of mailing deamon in the linux world known to man and
some that I made up along the way, and we're getting mixed reports of
stability.

> A shift to a server with a more personal relationship would be
> technically painless and would allow more flexibility in what we can
> do. If people want that of course!

Techincaly painless my ass. im having a [insert favorite word here] time
with piper mail and old mailing lists merging the two together. Gave up
in the end because of more pressing things to do.

Lets not mince words here people, its a serious decision that has to be
made, and I wont feel good about running off with llug's website without
a fight for it...

> P.S. I'm posting from Ubuntu, my favourite distro of the month...

You sick sick puppy. Remind me to have you put down some day...

P.S. I'm Posting from Windows XP. My favor... who am I kidding...